Elephant grass litter
In recent years, elephant grass has made its name as a litter, especially among horse owners. However, for small animals, the untreated chopped material may be a very reasonable alternative to wood chips in small packages. The independence of acquisitions, because you can produce your litter easily and inexpensively by yourselves, is also an argument for elephant grass as bedding.
Other advantages of elephant grass litter:
- Improved absorbency due to the high lignification degree of the crop
- Inexpensive to buy (provided that elephant grass is cultivated in the region)
- Added value remains in the region
- Probably, the main advantage is the possibility to produce the plant on fields without overacidifying them (like in case of sawdust)
Disadvantage of elephant grass litter:
- Higher dust formation (can be countered with oil)
- High storage capacity
- Availability mostly in agricultural areas
- Bulk transport over long distances usually economically inefficient
Here is our film about the use of Miscanthus, which represents Miscanthus heating and a riding stall where elephant grass is used as litter.